V&R Energy: Optimal Mitigation Measures (OPM) - Alleviate Voltage Stability, Voltage and Thermal Violations
OPM is a fast, powerful and efficient remedial actions software tool which allows its users to alleviate the post-contingency violations during massive N-1, N-1-1 and N-2 AC contingency analysis. It alleviates the Thermal, Voltage, and Voltage Stability violations in approximately 10 sec for one contingency for a 50,000-bus case.
There is no limit on a number of contingencies that can to be applied within a single run, or a number of buses in a load flow case.
The main purpose behind OPM is to be able to alleviate voltage, thermal and voltage stability violations identified as a result of performing any type of analysis in POM, for example:
- Contingency analysis;
- Voltage stability analysis;
- Power transfer analysis;
- Load increase/decrease;
- Change in generation dispatch.
OPM is fully integrated into POM, providing a user-friendly interface and seamless interaction with the load flow data and contingency analysis results. When OPM option is selected, POM and OPM run as one application. Like POM, OPM works both in interactive and automatic modes.
OPM determines the minimum amount of mitigation measures based on a user-defined priority schedule every time POM identifies a voltage, thermal or voltage stability violation. Mitigation measures incorporated into OPM are:
- MW Dispatch
- MVar Dispatch
- Capacitor and Reactor Switching
- Transformer Tap Change
- Phase Shifter settings
- Line Switching (In and Out), including Switching Not Affected Lines
- Load Curtailment
- Optimal Capacitor, Reactor Placement and Size
- Defined Operating Procedures
Different sets of measures may be utilized for N-0 (e.g., contingencies are not applied), N-1 and N-2 contingencies. When performing automatic N-1-1 AC contingency analysis, different sets of remedial actions (e.g., system adjustments) may be utilized for the first and the second contingency in the (N-1-1) contingency pair.
OPM pioneers in the areas of identifying the causes and fast mitigation of stability violations, as well as increasing of the voltage stability margins.
This software offers a unique capability that no other power system analysis software offers - to provide the comprehensive diagnostics of the stability violations and to relieve those violations:
- Identification of the causes of stability violations
- Fast mitigation of the stability violations by optimizing the active and reactive sources in the system
- Use of the control devices to increase the voltage stability margins after a contingency that causes the stability violation is applied
OPM may also be used when running BOR, in order to increase the size of the Secure Operating Region, and rank various remedial actions.
OPM's fast and efficient solution algorithms allow the electric utilities' planners and operators to solve the complex power systems problems, such as:
- Relief of the post-contingency Voltage, Thermal and Voltage Stability violations during the massive AC contingency analysis
- Relief of the base case violations;
- Increase of the voltage stability margins;
- Increase of the maximum power transfer capability;
- Increase of maximum loadability in the load(s) of interest;
- Determination of the optimal locations and minimum sizes of additional sources of reactive power, such as capacitors and reactors, SVD and FACTS devices, in order to improve the voltage profile in the power system
- Increasing the size of Secure Operating Region when utilized along with BOR application.
Accurate and fast performance makes OPM an essential tool for the electric utilities' Planning and Operations environments.
|< Prev||Next >|