V&R Energy is a Southern California based Power Systems Research, Power Engineering Software, and Power Systems Consulting company. We were founded in 1992.
We specialize in Power Systems Reliability Analysis and Transmission System Optimization, and as such we have been closely working with the Electric Utility community, both in the US and internationally, research organizations (NSF, NRECA CRN, NYSERDA, EPRI, CEATI) and US federal government (DOE).
Key Innovations Developed by V&R Energy
We provide the cutting edge power engineering solutions and tools that are extremely fast, robust and reliable and which allow our users in Planning, Operations and Real-Time environments to automate very complex processes.
Some of the innovations that we have introduced are:
- Automation of the NERC-Compliance Studies, e.g., massive N-1-1, N-2 AC contingency analysis to address the new NERC Standard TPL-001-1
- Enhanced Voltage Stability Analysis and mitigation of the voltage instability
- Determining and increasing of the Operating Limits
- A Boundary-Based Solution for the planning studies and real-time analysis using the existing SCADA data with direct use of the Phasor PMU data to predict possible system instabilities and provide timely warnings to the operators
- Fast Fault Screening tool to perform the transient stability studies in both Planning and Real Time
We have also developed the following advanced solutions:
- Smart Grid solution to predict the power system instability using the PMU measurements (ROSE)
- Improving the reliability of Transmission Grid to facilitate the integration of Wind Energy
- Prediction and prevention of the cascading outages
Our recent awards include:
1. DOE Award: “20% Wind by 2030: Overcoming the Challenges”, Started in 2010
Improving the Reliability of Transmission Grid to Facilitate Integration of Wind Energy in Tri-State G&T and AECI
2. ARRA Smart Grid Demonstration Grant, To be started in 2010
“Region of Stability Existence” (ROSE) is a part of ISO New England winning bid
3. NYSERDA Award, Started in 2010
Prevention of Occurrence of Major Catastrophic Events: Demonstration for Con Edison System
4. NYSERDA award. Host utility – NYISO, Started in 2008
Fast Fault Screening for Real-Time Transient Stability Assessment